Proceed to GeoCommunity Home Page

SpatialNewsGIS Data DepotGeoImaging ChannelGIS and MappingSoftwareGIS JobsGeoBids-RFPsGeoCommunity MarketplaceGIS Event Listings
HomeLoginAccountsAboutContactAdvertiseSearchFAQsForumsCartFree Newsletter

Sponsored by:

TOPICS
Today's News

Submit News

Feature Articles

Product Reviews

Education

News Affiliates

Discussions

Newsletters

Email Lists

Polls

Editor's Corner

SpatialNews Daily Newswire!
Subscribe now!

Latest Industry Headlines
3D Repo Brings Cloud Expertise to Government Funded Smart Infrastructure Project
EarthSense Computer Models Impact of Trees on Urban Air Pollution
SpatialTEQ Inc.'s Map Business Online Picked by Dow Jones for Delivery Operations Team Business Mapping
USDA Announces $6 Million to Aid Fire-Affected Farmers and Ranchers in Midwest
History of Abrupt Sinking of the Seal Beach Wetlands

Latest GeoBids-RFPs
Cartography Training-VA
A & E Services-OR
Remote Sensing-UT
Surveying and Mapping-WA
GPS Locators-MN

Recent Job Opportunities

Recent Discussions
LiDAR-derived DEM
space syntax
DEM data for Israel
3D modeling Consultant
AVP to Style

GeoCommunity Discussions

SpatialNews Discussions --
    The place to discuss GIS news, hardware, software, and data issues

Subject:  Modifying existing ArcGIS tools
Posted by: Modifying existing ArcGIS tools
on: Jul 31, 2015 18:56:17 CDT

Post New Message...     Post A Reply To This Message...     Notify us of inappropriate comments

I am hoping to get some help in modifying existing ArcGIS tools. I am doing research on Photosynthetic Active Radiation which corresponds to only the visible spectrum of light. My understanding is that the tool set in ArcMap calculates Total Radiation which I will refer to as Solar Flux. Details on the relationship between the two can be found in the link below.

http://agsys.cra-cin.it/tools/SolarRadiation/help/Photosynthetically_active_radiation.html

There are 2 areas that I need assistance with:

1. I need to modify the output of Solar Radiation tool to get PAR values instead of Solar Flux.

2. ESRI documentation indicates that the Solar Radiation tool considers only incident and diffuse radiation in calculating point values but NOT reflected radiation. My work focuses on Antarctica where surface reflectance plays big role in available PAR. So the Solar Radiation tool need to be modified to account for surface reflectivity (albedo).

Albedo varies with time so will need to be treated as a variable. The end goal of my project is to identify albedo values that match recorded point observations from weather stations. Identifying this albedo value would allow to extrapolate PAR values across the valley giving us a better handle on Potential Primary Productivity.

I have no experience modifying existing tools. I am currently reviewing python code to attempt to figure this out but it is moving slowly so any assistance would be of great help.

Subject Author Date
you are here Modifying existing ArcGIS tools Modifying existing ArcGIS tools Jul 31, 2015 18:56:17 CDT
    Re:Modifying existing ArcGIS tools pat Aug 12, 2015 11:58:31 CDT

Back to Boards Index

Sponsored by:

For information
regarding
advertising rates
Click Here!

Copyright© 1995-2014 MindSites Group / Privacy Policy

GeoCommunity™, Wireless Developer Network™, GIS Data Depot®, and Spatial News™
including all logos and other service marks
are registered trademarks and trade communities of
MindSites Group