Proceed to GeoCommunity Home Page

SpatialNewsGIS Data DepotGeoImaging ChannelGIS and MappingSoftwareGIS JobsGeoBids-RFPsGeoCommunity MarketplaceGIS Event Listings
HomeLoginAccountsAboutContactAdvertiseSearchFAQsForumsCartFree Newsletter

Sponsored by:

TOPICS
Today's News

Submit News

Feature Articles

Product Reviews

Education

News Affiliates

Discussions

Newsletters

Email Lists

Polls

Editor's Corner

SpatialNews Daily Newswire!
Subscribe now!

Latest Industry Headlines
Hawaii University Uses UAS to Map Lava Flow
StreetMapper First for Australia
eMaps from Vison-e Allows for Mapping of Custom Objects
Covéa Insurance Gains Competitive Advantage with Enhanced Schemes Management Capability from LexisNexis Map View
Pitney Bowes Study Reveals U.S., U.K. and Germany are the Most Desirable International Shopping e-Destinations

Latest GeoBids-RFPs
GPS Simulator-AL
Multiple Award Contract
Geo Media Professional Software-TX
Imagery Acquisition
GPS Fleet Tracking-NY

Recent Job Opportunities

Recent Discussions
BP Oil Spill
Interested in Medical GIS?
Interpolation IDW
introduction to gis
River Basin Boundaries

GeoCommunity Mailing List

Mailing List Archives

Subject: Re: GISList: 1:1000000 USGS maps
Date:  07/21/2000 12:07:27 PM
From:  David Nealey

Michel,

Please try using the FGDC clearinghouse for Geologic Division maps at:

http://clearinghouse4.fgdc.gov/registry/clearinghouse_sites.html

This is the main level. It currently includes titles for more than 390
digital data sets at various scales. Other data sets are in the hands of USGS
geologists who you will have to contact individually if the project is
ongoing. Probably every USGS geologic map that has ever published has been
digitized, it is just a matter of determining who has the data.

When I left the agency there were projects underway to produce digital
geologic maps at 1:100,000 and another to create one for North America and
adjacent areas. There is also a small scale geologic of the US on the
greenwood server in Denver office of the USGS that you can download through
the clearinghouse.

Here is the URL for greenwood:
<http://greenwood.cr.usgs.gov/pub/open-file-reports/
Download the King and Beikman data that Greg Green produced. If you must have
a 1:1,000,000 geologic map of the entire US, you are out of luck (as far as I
know). You can however mosaic published digital 1:100,000 maps and create
your own data set.

Other geologic products can be accessed from the Geologic Division including
the Quaternary Atlas of the eastern US, which should be available by now.

To do a search of the geology database go to:

http://geo-nsdi.er.usgs.gov/search.shtml

and enter your requirements.

Once you locate the data that you want, review the metadata document and
ascertain the quality, date, format, etc.

If you have any problem, email the POC for the Geoscience Data Base.

Sorry that I couldn't help as much with topographic data and water data. They
exist. You may try calling your local USGS office, they are always there to
help.

David

Michel van Best wrote:

> Topographic.
>
> I looked at he USGS Site, but no succes. I found out you can order them on
> paper, but not download them. The 1:24000, 1:100000 and 1:250000 can be
> downloaded from teh IDS Depot.
>
> Michel

For information
regarding
advertising rates
Click Here!

Copyright© 1995-2014 MindSites Group / Privacy Policy

GeoCommunity™, Wireless Developer Network™, GIS Data Depot®, and Spatial News™
including all logos and other service marks
are registered trademarks and trade communities of
MindSites Group