Product Review - MapPoint 2001 -
Now that I've had a chance to test drive MapPoint 2001, I can confidently tell you that
for less than $250 users will get an easy to use business mapping product that is
very easily integrated into
existing business processes.
Top 10 Features
The learning curve will be very minimal for experienced MS Office Suite users,
and the comprehensive geographic and
demographic data will be a pleasant surprise to all.
I believe even "inexperienced" users will find MapPoint fun and easy to work with!
Here are what I consider to be the Top 10 features of MapPoint 2001:
10. Ease of Use - "Up and running right out of the box"
9. GPS support
8. Tightly integrated with MS Office Suite
7. Thematic Mapping Wizard
6. Insert maps as OLE Objects in other app's
5. Save as HTML is very slick!
4. Accurate, Detailed Driving Directions
3. Customizable Routing
2. Hundreds of thousands of features in database
1. Addition of Canadian Data
Here are what I consider to be some dissapointments of MapPoint 2001:
- Can't import/export spatial data to/from other formats
- Limited labelling capabilities
- Can't alter coordinates to DMS or other units
- Can't perform multiple thematic displays concurrently
- slow in building thematic maps as it performs the operation on the entire database rather than a selected subset
- Contruction alerts are cool but unlikely in my mind to be up-to-date
Since I concentrated on the NEW features in this review,
you may find it useful to also read our
May 1999 Review
of MapPoint 2000. In that review I detailed a bit more of MapPoint's
So, what about Europe?
Mappoint Europe will be available this month through Microsoft volume
licensing programs only (ie. no full boxed product on store shelves).
Map data comes primarily from Navtech and A.N.D. as well as Microsoft.
Demographic data is supplied by Claritas. Most of Western Europe will be covered in the product,
with focus on the U.K., France, Germany (all which have detailed street level data), Spain, and Italy (minimal street level data).
Cost of MapPoint Europe will be equivalent to MapPoint US under volume licensing
By the way, I would love to hear about your personal
MapPoint experiences and projects, and any comments you may have.
Please share these with the entire "GeoCommunity" by contacting me at